Silicon Labs offers a series of highly integrated and pre-certified Zigbee, Thread, and Bluetooth mesh networking modules that simplify the development of IoT products, ranging from smart LED lighting to home and industrial IoT applications
By Gina Roos, editor-in-chief
A new portfolio of secure Wireless Gecko modules from Silicon Labs makes it easy to add mesh networking connectivity to a range of internet of things (IoT) products. The highly integrated MGM210x and BGM210x Series 2 modules support Zigbee, Thread, and Bluetooth mesh protocols; Bluetooth Low Energy, and multi-protocol connectivity. These pre-certified modules target line-powered IoT systems ranging from smart LED lighting to home and industrial automation.
The pre-certified xGM210x modules help reduce development time related to RF design and protocol optimization, minimizing risk factors associated with global wireless certifications, and enabling designers to accelerate time to market by several months, according to Silicon Labs. They are pre-certified for North America, Europe, Korea, and Japan.
The modules are based on Silicon Labs’ Wireless Gecko Series 2 platform, which features an Arm Cortex-M33 processor, software stacks, a dedicated security core, and a 125°C temperature rating suited for harsh environmental conditions. The xGM210x modules also integrate a RF power amplifier that makes the modules suited for long-range Bluetooth Low Energy applications that require hundreds of meters of line-of-sight connectivity.
The application-optimized Series 2 module portfolio’s initial families include the industry’s first pre-certified wireless modules optimized for LED light bulbs, and a printed-circuit board (PCB) form-factor module for a range of ultra-small IoT product designs.
- The xGM210L modules are designed to meet the performance, environmental, reliability and cost requirements of smart LED lighting. The modules combine a custom form factor for easier mounting inside LED bulb housings, PCB trace antenna to maximize wireless range, high temperature ratings, extensive global regulatory certifications, and low active power consumption.
- The xGM210P modules feature a PCB form factor, integrated chip antenna and minimal clearance areas for mechanics, simplifying space-constrained IoT designs including smart lighting, HVAC, building and factory automation systems.
The xGM210x modules also come packed with secure features, including secure boot with root of trust and secure loader (RTSL) technology to help prevent malware injection, and rollback to ensure authentic firmware execution and over-the-air (OTA) updates. The module’s Arm Cortex-M33 core integrates TrustZone technology, enabling system-wide hardware isolation for trusted software architectures.
Other secure features include:
- A dedicated security core that isolates the application processor and delivers fast, energy-efficient cryptographic operations with differential power analysis (DPA) countermeasures.
- A true random number generator (TRNG) compliant with NIST SP800-90 and AIS-31.
- A secure debug interface with lock/unlock allows authenticated access for enhanced failure analysis.
Silicon Labs’ Simplicity Studio integrated development environment is also available to help speed up design, along with advanced software tools, including a patented network analyzer and energy profiler to help developers optimize the wireless performance and energy consumption of IoT applications.
Samples and production quantities of the xGM210P modules are available now. Samples and production quantities of the xGM210L modules will be available in Q4 2019. The Wireless Gecko starter kit mainboard and Series 2 radio boards are available now.