- Maxim Integrated’s newly released transceivers provide fast troubleshooting and allow expanded communication network respectively
- This not only helps in reduction of revenue losses but also quickens machine repairs, preventing any idle time
Designers requiring longer uptime for industrial automation applications can accelerate troubleshooting and communicate across larger networks with the MAX33012E controller area network (CAN) bus transceiver and the MAX33072E RS-485 half-duplex transceiver from Maxim Integrated.
Reliable connectivity is essential to optimizing operation and improving system uptime in manufacturing for many critical industrial applications, such as asset management systems and communication fieldbus modules.
Industrial Troubleshooting and Communication
MAX33012E: Overvoltage, overcurrent and transmission error faults in CAN shut down production and render expensive machinery to become idle. To overcome this challenge, the MAX33012E features fault detection on data lines CANH and CANL for overvoltage, overcurrent and transmission failure, as well as fault code reporting. The MAX33012E’s detection and reporting enable fast troubleshooting of these faults so vital links can be immediately re-established.
MAX33072E: Modern industrial and manufacturing systems require high common-mode voltage tolerance to communicate between disparate systems. The common-mode range (CMR) of the MAX33072E is 1.6x greater than another alternative (receiver only). With the ability to connect the broadest range of disparate nodes, it expands communication network size to allow more machines to operate across larger areas, with simple and reliable links. The MAX33072E CMR of ±40V enables industrial systems to connect and communicate in environments of greater electrical noise, up to where a difference of either -40V or +40V between two nodes is present.
- Increased Uptime: Conventional CAN solutions do not feature fault detection and reporting together, leaving system operators to troubleshoot issues without knowledge of the fault’s origin or specific details. The MAX33012E gets CAN networks back online faster via the industry’s only detection, reporting and ranking of overvoltage, overcurrent and transmission errors.
- Maximum ESD Protection: MAX33012E provides ±45kV of electrostatic discharge (ESD) fault protection, which is 1.8x higher to make network data transmissions more resistant to ESD.
- Highest CMR: MAX33072E CMR is integrated into the driver and receiver for bidirectional communications.
“Improving uptime in industrial communications is a high priority for industrial system designers,” said David Andeen, executive director for the Core Products Group at Maxim Integrated. “Any time equipment is shut down to look for faults, manufacturers potentially lose revenue. But finding faults more quickly can reduce repair intervals, and these new transceivers help reduce the time that machines sit idle.”
“Automated manufacturing centres are made to run all day, every day to maximize productivity and boost return-on-investment,” said Colin Barnden, principal analyst at Semicast Research. “The ability to solve problems quickly and get production rolling again after equipment goes down is a highly desirable feature for any production environment.”
The MAX33012EASA+ and MAX33072EASA+ are now available at Maxim Integrated’s website and also from authorized distributors.
The MAX33012ESHLD# and MAX33072ESHLD# evaluation kits are available as well.