Delivers cutting-edge connectivity and power efficient inferencing at the edge for AI and machine learning
Designed specifically for robotics, the Robotics RB5 platform comprises of an extensive set of hardware, software and development tools. The Robotics RB5 platform brings together 5G and AI to empower developers and manufacturers creating the next generation of high-compute, low-power robots and drones for the consumer, enterprise, defence, industrial and professional service sectors.
The platform’s QRB5165 processor, customised for robotics applications, offers a powerful heterogeneous computing architecture coupled with an AI Engine delivering 15 Tera Operations Per Second (TOPS) of AI performance for running complex AI and deep learning workloads. The processor also offers incredible machine learning (ML) inferencing at the edge using the Qualcomm Hexagon Tensor Accelerator (HTA), a powerful image signal processor (ISP) with support for seven concurrent cameras and a dedicated computer vision engine for enhanced video analytics (EVA). With support for 4G and 5G connectivity speeds via a companion module, the RB5 platform helps pave the way for the proliferation of 5G in robotics and intelligent systems.
The Qualcomm Robotics RB5 Development Kit is comprehensive, customisable and easy-to-use. Developers have flexible software capabilities, with the platform offering support for Linux, Ubuntu and Robot Operating System (ROS) 2.0, as well as pre-integrated drivers for various cameras, sensors and 5G connectivity. It also provides support for OpenCL, OpenGLES and OpenCV.
The Development Kit includes support for the Intel RealSense Depth Camera D435i, Panasonic TOF Camera to provide leading depth-sensing capabilities and TDK’s 6-axis, high-performance ICM-42688-P IMU, accompanied by an ICP-10111 barometric pressure and a T5818 Digital (PDM) bottom port microphone. TDK also enables the development kit with an ultrasonic Time-Of-Flight CH101 and CH201 solutions, in addition to embedded motor control (HVC4223F) and high-performance IMU with built-in redundancy (IIM-46220). Additional TDK technologies include Hall effect and temperature sensors and validated and verified software algorithms dedicated to robotic applications.
Key technical features:
- Powerful Heterogeneous Computing: For high power computing performance, the QRB5165 processor integrates Octa Core Qualcomm Kryo 585 CPU, powerful Qualcomm Adreno 650 GPU, multiple DSPs (compute, audio and sensor) and ISPs. It also contains a dedicated, powerful AI engine, which includes the Hexagon Tensor Accelerator and dedicated computer vision hardware block (EnhancedVideo Analytics engine)
- 5th Generation AI Engine: Hexagon Tensor Accelerator based on the leading fifth-generation Qualcomm Artificial Intelligence Engine delivers a whopping 15 TOPS of AI performance with high AI and ML inferencing.
- Advanced Imaging: Qualcomm Spectra 480 Image Signal Processor (ISP) captures fast, professional-quality photos and videos and can process 2 Gigapixels per second, which supports superior camera features, including Dolby Vision video capture, 8K video recording (at 30 FPS) and 200-megapixel photos, and simultaneously captures 4K HDR video (at 120 FPS) and 64 MP photos with zero shutter lag. The hardware accelerator utilises the Engine for Video Analytics (EVA) to handle all Computer Vision (CV) tasks. Additional ISP features include HEIF photo capture, slow motion video capture, and advanced video capture formats (including Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+, HEVC and HLG). Seven concurrent cameras facilitate simultaneous localisation and mapping (SLAM), object detection and classification, autonomous navigation and path planning to efficiently and safely perform tasks in complex indoor and outdoor settings.
- Security Support: The Qualcomm Secure Processing Unit offers robust security without compromising power. It includes secure boot, cryptographic accelerators, Qualcomm Trusted Execution Environment (TEE) and camera security and is FIPS 140-2 certified. Additional security features include key provisioning security, malware protection, Qualcomm Content Protection, Qualcomm Mobile Security, Qualcomm Processor Security and secure token to support remote attestation and secure device provisioning. For advanced AI and ML security, the platform supports Biometric Authentication (including fingerprint, iris, voice, and face).
- Connectivity: The Robotics RB5 platform supports long-range Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), Bluetooth 5.1, and 4G and 5G, providing the highest level of connectivity available.
Products based on the Qualcomm Robotics RB5 platform and the development kit are available now from Qualcomm Technologies in multiple options, including commercial and industrial-grade temperature ranges and an option for extended lifecycle until 2029.